What to Consider During a Long Distance Move - Advice from Your Local Movers in Calgary
Despite the excitement, a long distance move usually tends to be a stressful event. From de-cluttering and throwing away what you don’t need to arranging your utility and cable accounts at your new home, the process can seem never-ending. A moving checklist can work wonders but even after the move, unpacking and organizing can take a toll on you, both mentally and physically. Thankfully, there are a number of ways that can help you avoid drawbacks and keep your sanity during the entire process.
Read on to learn 7 tips from professional movers in Calgary, which can help make your long distance move easier and more manageable.
Tips on Planning a Long Distance Move
- Be sure to pack your belongings securely. Your items are travelling a long way and will be handled by multiple hands, which is why you should always ensure everything you pack is adequately cushioned and secure. Properly and fully packing each box will prevent your items from shifting and breaking. Always ensure all of your containers are securely sealed, as your boxes may be flipped over during the move.
- Take out insurance. If you have valuable items, it may be in your best interest to insure your belongings. Anything can go wrong during a long distance move, which is why it’s a good idea to purchase basic or full-value coverage. If you have questions about insurance policies, your moving company should be able to provide you with guidance and clarification to help you make the right decision for your needs.
- Keep important items with you. Pack a bag with personal documents, including your passport, drivers licence and banking information. You may need these documents as soon as you arrive at your destination. It’s also a good idea to have some sleeping materials and hygiene products with you, so you do not have to wait until the moving truck arrives to freshen up.
- Consider packing your mattress in a box. Remember that your mattress is being handled by different moving crews, so be sure to pack it properly, in a box, to prevent it from sustaining damage.
- Forget your food and liquids. Food can attract insects, and these pesky invaders can make their way into any small crack or crevice. The next thing you know, your boxes are infested with all kinds of creepy crawlers. Avoid this pitfall by keeping food out of your boxes. You also want to stay away from packing any liquids. At any time during the move, the liquids can spill and cause significant damage to your belongings. By the time your boxes arrive, it may be way too late to attempt a clean-up. Also, it’s possible that other people’s belongings are on the same truck and you may be left responsible for covering the cost of damage for their tainted items.
- Write your name and address on all of your boxes. Trucks that provide long distance moving services may also be transporting other peoples’ belongings too. Avoid losing your items by clearly writing your name and contact information on each box. If your box does end up in someone else’s possession, they will be able to notice and return it immediately.
- Determine your building’s move-in conditions before you move. The last thing you want to happen is to arrive at your new place only to find out that you were required to reserve the elevator weeks in advance, or your movers are not allowed into the building at a certain time. Finding out all of these important details ahead of time can save you a lot of headaches and additional costs for having to store your belongings until the moving coast is clear.
The team at Riteway Moving takes the time to learn every last detail of your long distance move and provides guidance and solutions for any issues or concerns you may have. Contact us today at 403-714-7483 and one of our professional long distance movers in Calgary will help answer any questions you may have. You can also complete our online form and we will get back to you soon.